How To Get Involved
The Women & Children’s Shelter of Barrie always needs committed, experienced and passionate volunteers to help in our shelter and outreach locations, the community, with events, or on our Board of Directors. Volunteers are the heart of our organization. Take a look at the opportunities we have available and reach out to us if you are interested in getting involved.
Through participating in Charity Bingo shifts, the Women & Children’s Shelter of Barrie raises vital funds to support its operations. We are looking for reliable and energetic volunteers with good communication and interpersonal skills. This position is a great way to meet new people, while also giving back to your community. An honorarium is available for volunteers in this role.
Alternate Thursdays • 1:00-3:00pm • Must be 18 years of age or older • Commitment of minimum 6 months
Help behind the scenes to keep our administrative department running smoothly by making telephone calls, helping with mailings, data entry and filing organization.
Assist the Women & Children’s Shelter to plan & execute fundraising and awareness events including annual events and one-off events. Setting up a Women & Children’s Shelter booth at various community events to promote our organization. Organizing 3rd party events to raise funds and resources to help our women & children.
Join a group of passionate people who want to raise financial support to help end violence against women. Your involvement could include: assist in developing fundraising campaigns for the shelter, researching possible grants, finding sources of major gifts and designing campaign materials.
Upkeep of outdoor gardens, children’s play area, beautification projects and yard maintenance.
Looking for a way to boost staff morale, support the community to end domestic violence, and help your company become a better corporate citizen? We would love to work with you! Please contact kelly(at)barrieshelter.com to find out how to get involved.
- Download and complete the Volunteer application (below), send it in to Kaity(at)barrieshelter.com
- Once we have received your completed application form, if you are over 18 years of age, we will send you a letter to obtain a vulnerable sector police reference check.
- When you receive your completed police check we will schedule an interview to discuss your interests as a volunteer with the Women & Children’s Shelter
- Once you are selected as a volunteer we will complete your personal reference checks and set up a time to complete training, sign confidentiality form and start your volunteer position.
Training & Benefits:
- Orientation to the agency
- Information on woman abuse and its impact on children
- Ongoing training and skills development
- Current information about Women & Children’s Shelter events and activities
- A sense of satisfaction, contribution and purpose by participating in a social movement to end violence against women and their children.
The benefits of our volunteers’ time are truly immeasurable. One act of kindness can make all the difference in someone’s life. The staff at the Women & Children’s Shelter of Barrie rely on the input of volunteers to run our programs smoothly and successfully.
If you would like more information, please call
Kaity at 705 728 6300 ext. 228 or email kaity(at)barrieshelter.com